Friday, March 30, 2007

Parenting NOT easy!

Pacey will be turning 8 on Monday April 2 and we have planned to have a party with all the girls in her grade 2 class, which will only be 8 girls including Pacey and Laina. However, Pacey has been very stubborn and ornery about doing any homework or piano practising. Seriously she has sat at the piano crying and wining about not wanting to practice for 1/2 an hour when she could have had all of it done in under 10 minutes. I tried to make it fun but she was so stubborn that I got frustrated and wound up yelling at her and giving her a kick in the pants and sent her to her room.
When there is something fun coming up we use the 3 strikes "you're out" and after this situation she ended up getting her 3rd strike and that meant no party she took that and had a total melt down that broke my heart. Frankly I was kind of excited for her to have a party since she has no really close friends. So, after, I explained that if she showed me how she could start "choosing the right", to listen and do as I ask without complaining and to do things without being asked I would let her have her party but on the invitations we would write "Please No gifts". She grew very quiet and her lip started to quiver as she said "Why?". I explained that when you act so rudely and have have tantrums that it doesn't show me she wants to make thing better. Of course she chose to have her friends come and share in the fun with a pinata and cake and Ice Cream. I told her that she still needed to prove to me she could be a good girl because if she wasn't I would call all of the girls and tell them the party was cancelled. But Pacey has been EXCELLENT today. She's been helping and playing with her sisters. listening and obeying me, she even cleared our table and set it for supper without my asking. She even has been holding her tongue when I know she wants to be lippy. At first I thought maybe I gave in by still letting the party go on but she's actually trying to be a good girl. I've never thought parenting was easy and I have to say it seems to get harder the older they get. We still have 2 more days to go, I'll keep you posted. I Love my Pacey girl so much!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

i think you're a wonderful mom Tina. You always know what to say. You tended me a lot and I remember you being there when mom wasn't. Thanks TINA!! I love You!

Becka. said...

Tina, you're such a good mom! I'm not looking forward to older kids. Connor's just getting to the age where he realizes he doesn't always have to listen to me and it's SO HARD! Hope the party was fun!

Jenie said...

I totally understand. Its hard to be a mom and have to be the one to enforce all the rules.

Unknown said...

Tina
you made me really nervous about girls growing up. Maci is as sassy as they come and I am terrified for puberty and all that jazz leading up to it

Krista said...

Hahaha, I love that you kicked her in the pants - frankly, I would have done the same thing. I have NO patience for smart mouths. Funny, because that is STILL what my mom claims I am.

Sonia said...

I have to agree with Krista . . .
When you wrote, "and I kicked her in the pants", I just started laughing. A girl after my own heart. Glad I'm not the only one like that. I'm having the same issues with my oldest. . . he'll be 7 on Sat. AUGH!!!!